In June this year the annual rivalry of Melbourne University and Old Xavier was resumed. Playing as always for the E.M. Shaw Cup. In an attempt to wrest the trophy from Old Xavier, and make up numbers , Melbourne Uni had recruited from the ranks of the Booroondara gents and Melbourne Uni colts.
Under the watchful whistle of Jim Lawrenson Old Xavier started strongly but were rebuffed at every turn by strong MURFC defence. Slowly the tide started the turn and when a misplaced pass from the Old Xavier half back went to ground in the in goal MURFC pounced and where out to a surprise lead.
Old Xavier true to style kept trying to run the ball from anywhere. This lead to MURFC second try when Marty Tighe tried a cut pass in front of his own posts and was intercepted for the simplest of scores. This was exacerbated by the fact that almost from the kickoff MURFC went the length of the field to score another. THings were looking grim for Old Xavier
However just before half time Marty Tighe looped around the defence and then grubbered and soccered his way to score a great individual try to provide some hope for the boys in black.
The second half started like the first with Old Xavier hard on attack but not breaking through. Finally when it looked like MURFC were breaking out and may score they were called back for a penalty which Rory Quinn took quickly and scored under the posts. Five minutes later Rob Shaw backed up some fine breakoutfrom is cousin and Marty and scored the simplest of tries. The conversion from Dan Cusack put Old xavier into the lead
MURFC then attacked strongly to regain there lead. However the ref then blew the whistle for full time gutting the MURFC team who looked likely to score. The referee, however, realised he had ended the match 10 minutes early and so both teams we agreed to play the extra time. However this did not help Melbourne Uni as the lactic acid took its toll and another three tries were scored by Old Xavier.
- A mix up from the half back leads to Uni’s first try:
- Marty does a Carlos Spencer, and the centre scores under the posts:
- Uni winger shows plenty of pace to burst through and score:
- Marty Tighe redeems himself with a Tighe special:
- Rory “Razor” Quinn scores after some quick thinking:
- Rob Shaw scores after some speculative passing and a chip:
- Rob Shaw scores after a beautiful chip into the corner:
- Unfortunately the last two tries were not caught on video, which is a bugger as I scored one!
- However I have made a video montage to music of tries from the last two years. It is a bit blocky at times (I had to get over 3 minutes of video into a less than 10 MB file, but it makes for good entertainment (especially for those with sound). Here is the link:
- Here is a full gallery of various photos taken on the day:
In June this year the annual rivalry of Melbourne University and Old Xavier was resumed. Playing as always for the E.M. Shaw Cup... https://shawfactor.com/b/q